Meme of 4′s
Windows facing the Tübingen marketplace
It’s been a week and a half without a post! Where went my resolution? What happened to the promise I made myself to post three times a week? Perhaps that’s a bit much, you think. Perhaps you’re right. But there should be some consistency, should there not?
So here I have a post that’s not even really a food post. I’m so sorry! I should really take my camera to work and show you all the random Japanese sweets and bento lunches I eat every day. It’s pretty impressive, but I’m falling apart from being so super busy.
Thank you Paige from Come to the Table for tagging me for this meme. It’s a great way to give a bit more of a (admittedly random) introduction of myself.
Four jobs you’ve had in your life (all in the past!)
- First job ever was in a hamburger trailer at the Oregon State Fair. I quit halfway through the two week job, because of the unappetizing conditions and my over-friendly boss. I have not eaten at the state fair since.
- Teaching Asisstant for Children’s Education Theatre, a summer camp. I’m not an actor, though. I prefer power tools, lighting equipment, and the dark backstage, which I got to show middle schoolers all about.
- Carpenter for the Smith College Theatre Department.
- Volunteer as kitchen staff and barista at the Bazaar Cafe, Kyoto, Japan. I’m too busy lately to go every week, but I love the place.
Four movies you could watch over and over:
Or since there are not so many, four movies I have watched over and over in the course of my (still short) lifetime:
- My sister and I always rented Mary Poppins when we were little. I didn’t like the bank scene, where the father is laid off. I think I’ve only actually seen it once or twice, though I’ve seen the movie umpteen times.
- In middle school, Much Ado About Nothing.
- In high school, Fight Club, but I really didn’t like the violence. It makes you wonder why I watched it.
- Recently, Spirited Away by Miyazaki, the Japanese Disney and great social critic
Four places you’ve lived:
- Tübingen, Germany (birthplace)
- Salem, Oregon (formative years)
- Northampton, Massachusetts (college)
- Kyoto, Japan (currently)
Four TV shows you love to watch:
- Julia Child’s cooking shows. She went to my alma matter!
- Yaoh, the Japanese TV show about hosts. The closest thing to hosts that I can think of in the states might be escort services, but they don’t receive their customers in an escort club. I like it for it’s cultural interest ;-) … but really who thinks the lead character Ryosuke is cute? He has a mullet!
- Kyo no Ryori, an NHK cooking show that showcases a different chef each week. (NHK is Japanese public broadcasting.)
- Hajimetesan no Kimono Juku, a show my the always elegant Kimono expert Ichida Hiromi on all the basics of coordinating, wearing, and storing kimono.
Four places you’ve been on vacation:
- Tuscany, Italy
- Vienna, Austria
- Okinawa, Japan (for my first Christmas away from home)
- Shanghai and the Yellow Mountains, China
Four Websites You Visit Daily:
- www.fritz.de (German radio station from Berlin)
- www.rikai.com (a great tool for reading Japanese digital print)
Four of Your Favorite Foods:
- Swiss chocolate
- European cheese
- Gyoza dumplings
- Wagashi, Japanese sweets
Four Places You’d Rather Be:
- in my parents’ beautiful kitchen
- in Nishiki market
- in Italy with some bread, pecorino cheese, olive oil, a tomato, and wine
- in Tübingen, my other home